Sunday, December 16, 2012

the underlying problem


And not only in dealing with mental illness, but in researching why we seem to have a growing number of mentally ill. 
But I still advocate gun control that removes automatic hand guns and assault weapons.  Even though I do not consider killing animals as Sport, I would accept allowing the sort of weapons used in such slaughter.  But there is no way the average citizen needs heavy armament to defend his/her castle. 
But the underlying problem continues to be our worship of Power and Violence. 
 
 
Carl Jarvis
 
----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Hachey
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2012 9:04 AM
Subject: Re: another lame duck bill here a killer

Hi Carl,
I agree with you as to how effective or not effective stricter gun laws might be. When I was a sophomore in College, I wrote a paper advocating for a nationwide ban on handguns. I have also supported things like tougher background checks and waiting periods for buying guns. But I fear all of this could lead to a major black market in guns that profits organized criminals.
I think a better way to go in efforts to reduce the horrific violence we se is to put more resources in to dealing with mental illness. That seems to be a common denominator in virtually all of the violence.
Bob Hachey


_______________________________________________
Blind-Democracy mailing list
Blind-Democracy@octothorp.org
http://www.octothorp.org/mailman/listinfo/blind-democracy

No comments:

Post a Comment