Wednesday, November 3, 2010

God must have some sense of humor...if there is a God

When I became blind I was 30 years old, scared silly, feeling helpless and out of control.  So there was a period of time during which I found my ability to see the funny side of life just a bit difficult. 
But I knew I was bouncing back when I began laughing at things that should have really embarrassed me.  Like the time I took the arm of my chair and sat right down beside it on the floor.  I began laughing when my wife got all flustered.  "I thought I'd broken the chair", I giggled.  I had gained about 25 pounds since becoming blind. 
And there was the day my wife and I went bowling with my folks.  I cranked the ball up just like I always did when I could see, heaved it out onto the lane and listened for it to hit the boards.  Nothing.  Then from two lanes over there was a huge crash as my ball first slammed to the lane and then crashed into an automatic pinsetter that was just depositing its pins on their spots. 
Of course at the moment I was stunned and just sat shaking.  But on the way home the humor of the situation hit me.  I could imagine the looks on the faces of the folks on other lanes, preparing to bowl as this ball comes flying along out of nowhere.  Even now I get a chuckle thinking about it. 
I figure that if there is a God, He has to have one heck of a sense of humor.  Just look about you and see all of the practical jokes He's played on us. 
Yup, a heck of a sense of humor. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment