Tuesday, November 16, 2010

something to worry about

Speaking of open manholes. 
A great fear of mine when I first became totally blind was that I might drop through an open manhole.  I put the question to the first blind rehab teacher I met.  "How do you avoid falling down an open manhole", I asked. 
"Well, first of all", he mused, "How many open manholes have you encountered in your lifetime as a sighted person?" 
"I've seen a few", I offered. 
"And how many of those were just sitting there unattended?" 
I chuckled.  Every open manhole I'd ever seen was shielded by a metal cage and had a worker standing right there keeping an eye on the fellows down below. 
My rehab teacher laughed and said, "I think before you worry about open manholes you'd better start worrying about being struck by a falling star". 
To this day I am very careful when out walking after dark on a clear night.  One never knows when a falling star might drop down. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment