Thursday, November 11, 2010

never question tradition

I'm all for obeying the rules...most of the time. 
But some rules just beg to be challenged. 
For example, when I entered the training program as a newly blind person, the rule was that we left our canes in the Orientation &Mobility class room and trailed the walls with our fingers while inside the building.  Everybody did it including the blind staff.  This was 1965, what we now refer to as the Dark Age.  Well, me and a couple of rascals got our heads together and decided that we would use our canes indoors.  My, my, my.  You would have thought the end of civilization had befallen us.  The blind staff spun about like chickens on a George Foreman rotisserie.  But nowhere in all their official rules and regulations did it say that we could not use our canes in the building.  I figured that after we completed our training and left the program things would revert to "normal" again, but 6 years later when I returned to train in the Business Enterprises Program I was pleasantly surprised to find that all blind students were using their canes.  However, several of the old time blind staff still trailed their way down the halls without canes. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment