Sunday, January 27, 2013

just being myself


Hi Jessie and List,
Sometimes we set up Strawmen/women and swing away at them while we ignore the central issue. 
I would propose that we get past this matter of trying to be as good as sighted people, or comparing ourselves to them, or trying to imitate them.  This is not to be construed as my wanting to be separate but equal.  I advocate working with, associating with, recreating with and marrying sighted people.  I even support having sighted children(I have 3 of my own, just to prove it). 
In fact, allow me to introduce myself. 
I am Carl Allen Jarvis, the Interdependent Blind Man.  I am a unique individual, fully functional and capable of adjusting myself, with the help of my fellow human beings,  to live in the world. 
I am as complex and as diverse in my strengths and weaknesses as are all human beings.  I constantly evaluate my beliefs and attitudes to correct or adjust them as new information occurs.  I try to understand my limitations, but do my best to be certain that I am not allowing my prejudices to close my mind.  As I grow older, I adjust my activities, even as I went through a major adjustment when I became blind. 
My bottom line is that in no way do I want to be as good as sighted people.  It is my goal to be as good as it is possible for me to be.  That is a full time job. 
 
Carl Jarvis
 

No comments:

Post a Comment