Wednesday, August 25, 2010

even a blind man can be blind to the feelings of others

It was 1987 and I had just been offered the promotion to assistant director of field services.  Naturally I accepted(please see, The Peter Principle) and I was eager to rush home and tell Cathy. 
I stood alone at the bus stop in  my own dream world, probably looking like a grinning ape, when a fellow approached me and without saying a word, pressed a paper bill into my hand.  I pushed it back and said, "No thank you." 
"It's for you," he said in a soft voice. 
"Thank you but I cannot accept this", I said, pushing it back at him. 
"I just want to help," he insisted. 
"Look," I exploded, "I just received a promotion and I earn 50 thousand dollars a year.  How much do you make?" 
Without a word, the man melted into the distance. 
From time to time, even these many years later, I wonder about that exchange.  What really drove me to refuse the stranger's offer?  Was I attempting to show him that all blind people standing on street corners are not beggars?  Was I so inflated by my own self importance that I was highly offended that he thought that just because I was blind that I needed his help? 
Whatever it was, I think that I was so self focused that I never took into account how this fellow felt.  I cut him off with no regard concerning why he did what he did, or what we could have said to help him see blindness in a better light. 
By slamming him to the mat I am sure that I did make a statement about blind people. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment