Tuesday, August 24, 2010

letter to my grandson Dylan Ford

Hi Dylan,
Not a lot going on, but I was thinking about you and thought I'd at least say, "Hi". 
A couple of days ago I turned on my computer and no sound came forth.  I jiggled all the wires, kicked the side of the computer(that actually worked once) and finally unplugged the speakers and plugged in my headphones.  They worked fine.  I'd had a loose connection in the main speaker for months but usually all I had to do was to fiddle with the volume control and it would work.  Nothing.  So I said to myself, "I'll just open the thing up and see if I can rewire it".  HA!  Without destroying the case, there is no way into the speakers.  They are self contained and meant to be thrown away rather than to be repaired. 
So off we went to the speaker store.  Staples, I think.  And for just around $20 I got new speakers.  They sound much better than the old ones.  I've had them for...hmm...ten years?  At least ten years. 
Cathy and Marlene are watching some of the winter Olympics.  Ice skating.  I root for our Americans but it's not too interesting when all I can do is to listen to the music they're performing to.  And it used to be that the music was decent.  Lately they are skating to the sounds of a tornado slamming through a auto parts shop. 
Our neighbors headed for Panama for a couple of weeks.  We're picking up their mail and the Ingles are feeding their horses.  But when I walk over to grab their mail I take a few carrots along and chat with the two horses.  Today I was almost down to their driveway when I heard something off to my right.  I stopped and listened.  It must have stopped to listen, too.  I began walking again and it began walking.  Ohoh!  It sounded big.  I turned toward the sound and it gave a snort through its nose.  A horse.  A horse on the loose.  It had to be one of Greg and Cindy's.  I walked slowly toward the horse and held out a carrot.  It just stood there, neither walking toward me or moving away.  "Wanna carrot?" I asked, holding the yummy treat out as far as my arm would stretch.  The horse leaned its neck way out and took the carrot from my hand and chomped it up.  I said, "Just stay there and I'll get Cathy and we'll bring you home". 
I hustled back to the house and told the story to Cathy.  She was making oatmeal raison walnut applesauce cookies.  She grabbed her shoes and we headed out in the ford(no relation to you).  We reached Greg and Cindy's drive and Cathy saw both their horses in the front pasture, munching away contentedly.  No horse alongside the road.  We drove all the way up to Russ and Darlene's without seeing a horse.  Both their horses were where they should be.  We drove a couple of miles the other direction and still no horse.  I have no idea whose horse it is or where it went.  But it's interesting that before they left for Panama Cindy asked us if Marlene's horse was in our pasture.  We said no.  She said both she and Greg had heard a horse over in our pasture.  Interesting.  We have had three deer munching in the field, but no horse. 
Well, they turned off the TV which means it's time for Liverpool. 
Be good and stay well. 
Gramps
************************
We have met the enemy and, he is us. -- Pogo

No comments:

Post a Comment