Wednesday, August 18, 2010

memory from December 1, 2007Fw: Do you remember?

 

Dec. 1, 2007

 

The snows began to fly about 11:00 A.M. Friday and continued until a few minutes after the Sea Hawks snuck out a victory over Philly. Nine inches of good

packing, heavy snow covered the forest. Tree limbs gave up trying to hold the load and cracked, dropping with a soft, "floof", to the fluffy pile below.

Then, as quickly as it began, the snow turned to heavy rain. And it is still raining at 7:00 PM. Monday evening.

I hiked the quarter mile of our private road, tossing fallen branches and large limbs off to the side. But no big trees down this time. Good news.

I will have to wait until it calms down a bit before I hike up the long, steep trail to the water tank. Usually a tree or two has to be cut from across

the path.

Walking along the pasture to the Beaver Dam, I could hear the normally quiet creek roaring and gnashing it's teeth on the rocks.

And all the time the rain pounded down on my large golf umbrella. Not a sound except the rain and the wind. Then a couple of ducks decided to fight over

a choice spot on the pond. But I might as well have been the only human being in the world.

At that moment, and in that space, all normal people were blind. I was in the majority. King of my domain. Lord of...but my feet were getting soaked,

so I headed back to the house.

 

Curious Carl

------

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment