Thursday, June 17, 2010

humor: old vs new

 
Okay.  I got a pretty darn good sense of humor.  Well, sometimes Cathy says I have a weird sense of humor.  But weird or not, everybody needs one.  I can't begin to understand what it would be like to not find humor in the world around us.  It's a funny place to live.  Look, we talk about this wonderful world which God hath wrought.  God, who loves everything.  And then we look around and notice that everything that is alive is busy eating something else.  Usually it's the big guy eating the smaller guy.  Except in the case of germs.  The virus' trump all.  It tells us that God has a real kinky sense of humor. 
Which brings me to the humor in those Super Bowl commercials.  The one that I found most unfunny was the little punk who slapped his mother's gentleman friend and told him, "Two things.  You don't touch my mother and you don't touch my Doritos". 
I would have picked that brat up by the face and held him out the window.  But my grandson thought that this was one of the two funniest commercials aired. 
Some humor is timeless but most becomes out dated.  Listen to an old Bob Hope show and you'll most likely sit silently through the entire hour.  His humor was definitely set to the times.  Programs that left me rolling in the aisle when I was a young man, now make me wonder if I had been mentally ill. 
 
Curious Carl 

No comments:

Post a Comment