Friday, June 4, 2010

I am not now, nor have I ever been a member of the Communist Party

Back in the mid 1950's my uncle was a professor at Oregon State College(now OSU).  We were visiting one balmy summer week and my dad and my uncle and I sat out on the patio sucking up the sun.  My uncle had a ream of papers in his hand and my dad asked him what he was reading. 
"It's a questionnaire that I'm required to fill out". 
What sort of questionnaire?"  My dad inquired. 
"Oh, they want to make certain that the youth are being taught by upstanding citizens."  As we talked, my uncle began reading the questions to my dad.  A very big mistake.  It turned out to be a poorly camouflaged loyalty oath.  My uncle was asked questions about how many hours of volunteer work he did for his community, who he donated to, where he attended church(it was assumed that he did attend church), but it ended with the statement, "I swear that I am not now, nor have I ever been a member of the Communist Party". 
 
My dad thought about this for a moment.  "Tell me this", he asked after hearing that my uncle was prepared to fill out and return this questionnaire, "are the local businessmen and preachers required to fill this out?"  My uncle did not understand the question.  "They don't hold public offices," he declared.  "Exactly my point", my dad said.  "Why are you required to bare your personal life and beliefs while their lives and beliefs are their personal secrets." 
Well of course my uncle turned in the completed questionnaire.  He did want to feed his family, and he was a firm  believer that the Pillars of his Community would not  request him to do anything Un-American. 
 
Curious Carl

No comments:

Post a Comment