Wednesday, June 16, 2010

none so blind

 
I recall when I first became blind thinking I'd return to the University of Washington and complete my teaching degree.  Since my previous grade point was rather low I was turned down.  My neighbor Ruth was a close friend of the Dean of the Department of Education.  She arranged a meeting.  I was ushered into the Dean's office.  Instead of focusing on my dismal grade point, he told me that if I wished to teach I should work toward my Master's degree and teach at the college level.  He said high school and elementary school would be too difficult due to disciplinary problems and the need for keen eyesight.  "So, if what you are suggesting, an Eagle would be a better teacher than a human being," I argued.  The dean suddenly lost his friendly, fatherly manner and said in a stern voice, "I agreed to see you as a favor to a mutual friend. 
This interview is over."  He stood and opened the door.  . 
Ah me, there are none so blind as those who can see. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment