Saturday, June 5, 2010

Their day is coming

 
For certain if I were 20 years of age, all of this techy stuff would be like peanut butter and jelly.  A main staple in my life. 
But as I approach my 75th birthday I find that my 12 year old grandsons(identical twins) are able to tell me stuff I can't begin to understand much less repeat.  And they do it in stereo.  I can take apart radios, TV's, cameras, tape recorders, Braillers, phones(older ones), small engines and a pile of other gadgets.  But I have not a clue about the stuff that's flooding the market today.  When someone says, "down load" to me, my eyes glass over and I put a stupid smile on my lips and think about walking in the forest. 
Nonetheless, Cathy and I amaze our older clients with our "knowledge" regarding the operation of the Talking Book machines and the new digital players. 
Many of our clients are never able to master the "Side Selector Switch" on the tape players much less down load from their computer. 
Sure, I get angry at the impatience of younger techy blind people.  But from my own experience I know that their day is coming.  Yup, one day they'll be coming up on their 75th birthday and looking around at a totally confusing world. 
It's a shame they can't learn sooner so that they can be of help to our Seniors, rather that a stumbling stone. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment