Saturday, June 5, 2010

How do we keep Power from corrupting?

 
I have yet to see a down trodden people rise up to take control and then to rule with wisdom and kindness. 
Long before it was fashionable I spoke out for women's equal rights.  I would tell folks that once women began to move up into places of leadership they would bring about a softer, wiser more nurturing nation.  Then I began witnessing emerging women dressed in "Power Suits" and swinging attaché cases as they strode down the halls toward their corner offices. 
My last boss was a woman.  I have remained friends with her to this day and have great respect for her abilities.  But I began calling her, "Sir" whenever I saw her in her power mode.   
Even though the evidence is overwhelming that power corrupts, I struggle to continue believing that we can modify our behavior in order to survive as a species.  If we can't, this very force that drives us to rise up will bring us down. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment