Thursday, June 17, 2010

checking for the good people

Without a doubt, our attitudes toward other people are absolutely, pure and simple, learned behavior.  And it is learned behavior without our even being aware that we are in "Learned Behavior School".  It not only comes from our own people, it comes through the behavior we see around us.  It comes from the TV and the radio and the magazines we thumb through.  It comes from the chatter in the beauty salon or the barber shop.  It is learned by the way the waitress looks at us, or speaks to us.  We are so immersed in the process that we don't even know that we are being conditioned. 
I believe that each of us must first and foremost declare that we are full of prejudice and misinformation toward other people. 
Declaring that I know that I am a product of my society and that I have built in prejudices will allow me to begin to determine my own true colors. 
Will I simply be happy to prance along behind the Pied Piper of Prejudice?  Or will I take the time and energy to study and clean up my own house? 
Long ago I decided that I am a Citizen of the World.  My Nation is Planet Earth.  My neighbors are Black, White and all colors between. 
Sure, some of my email appears to be cynical and even a bit over the top, but I honestly love my human family and search constantly for the good people. 
 
Curious Carl

No comments:

Post a Comment