Sunday, June 13, 2010

Yes I can! Yes I can!

 
Even those presidential candidates who seem to be modest and unassuming actually possess huge egos.  In a very small way I can relate to that. 
I was working as Director of the Orientation and Training Center, which was sort of a glorified principal.  It was my dream job and I believe that I was better than good at it.  My immediate supervisor was the assistant director for field services.  When the director of the agency left for greener pastures she moved up into his chair.  Then the call came.  She sat down with me and asked me to take the assistant director's position.  Even as we talked I knew that it was not the job I wanted.  I would be removed from direct client contact.  I would be buried in paper work.  I would be responsible for all VR staff, Orientation and Training Center, Independent Living, Supported Employment, Child and Family and Business Enterprises Program.  Plus I would directly supervise the Seattle office support staff and the building maintenance and be the ADA coordinator.  Oh yes, I also did all administrative reviews.  And it was my job to attend any meetings the director did not wish to attend.  And I was responsible for developing our state plan. 
Why would any person in their right mind leave the comfort of a job they loved and did well, and take on the task of trying to fill a black hole?  Yet there I was, listening to my boss tell me what a great guy I was and how much she needed me and how well we'd work together.  And from down inside me this little voice chirped, "I can".  Then it sounded louder, "Yes, I can!"  I sprang to my feet pumping my fists in the air above my head.  "Yes!  I can.  And I shall!"  Like the mighty Hindenburg, I crashed and burned.  They cried, "Oh the humanity of it!". 
I believe that Barak Obama convinced himself that he had the tools and the answers to lead this nation into better times.  But like me, he has run into a huge black hole.  I was lucky.  I got out after 3 years and was able to return to my beloved training center.  President Obama will not be so lucky.  He must serve 4 years.  And his every moment in this thankless job is a threat to his and his family's lives.  Then as his time grows near, he will lift up his head and hear that small voice once again, "Yes, I can!"  And off he will go to the races. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment